My Avatar

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Tool 11 - Self-Assessing and Reflecting

I have found this process of 11 tools very welcomed.  Although I am very hesitant about technology, I can really see a lot of benefits to using it effectively in the classroom.  I think it can do a lot to encourage participation by all students.

One thing I am going to start using every day in my classroom is the tool - Poll Everywhere.  I am going to use it with my warm-up activity first thing when the bell rings.  I know the students will like having a reason to use their cell phones to vote on which answer to the warm-up problem is right.  I also really liked Google Docs and I plan on using that in May when I have the students working in groups on a stock project.  It is a good way for the students to communicate without actually being together in the classroom.

11 tools has made me more aware of the vast variety of activities that can be done on the Internet and things that can bring lessons alive in the classroom.  Even though I teach math, just getting to show maybe a lesson from Khan Academy would give the students an opportunity to benefit from the Internet.  I also see using some online features like tracking stocks and doing company research in class being a really nice, educational feature.

I know I still have quite a lot to learn about using this new technology effectively in the classroom, but I am looking forward to the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment